Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

19/04/24 - 05:13:52

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2,722
  • Latest: carlfh
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,914
  • Total Topics: 11,004
  • Online today: 197
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 150
Total: 150

150 Guests, 0 Users

replace cracked footrest hanger (leftside)

Started by oscar tbt, 31/07/17 - 23:33:53

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar tbt

hi all. new to the forum, and new to bikes - picked up a 2006 vara 125 3 months ago.

slightly embarassing, i managed to put it down at 0 miles an hour (for reasons unknown, i tried to put it on the centre stand getting home after a pretty big night out - lesson learned, don't go near the bike after beers...)

dropping it managed to break off the left footpeg and gearshifter, cracking the hanger just near the lower bolt. the peg and the gearshifter both look ok.

i found a pdf shop manual online and the left side is the bolt side for the swingarm pivot.

so the (probably stupid) question is:

is supporting/holding the swingarm (+ wheel) in place on blocks an option at all? ie. blocks at the pivot and also at the wheel end? otherwise it looks like a fairly big job, wheel off - dropping chain etc (think i'll be ok getting it apart, more concerned about cocking up chain tension/wheel alignment)
i've worked on old cars before, but not done anything more than an oil change on a bike so a bit wary about pulling the rear end apart if that needs to be done.

any advice would be great (even if that's dont be stupid, take it to a mechanic)

cheers

bonealarm

hi oscar, i could forward you the manual if you have an email address i can send to that's prob best way to show you whats involved.

oscar tbt

thanks bonealarm.

i found the shop manual for the V1 (looks exactly the same and wikipedia says no changes to suspension between models), so i've now got a decent idea of what needs to be done in terms of removing rear wheel etc.

just a bit annoying that there's quite a bit involved when i was hoping it would be a straight forward unbolt cracked peg hanger -> bolt on new peg hanger.  i guess given that the swingarm bolt needs to come out, will need to at least regrease the bolt and probably replace the swingarm dust covers?

by the way link in case anyone else wants the shop manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1002847/Honda-Xl-125-V1.html

Taught2BeCautious

The easiest way to do the job, is to get a spare swingarm bolt off eBay (or a bolt the same diameter and length), and use it to push to old one through, from the nut side.

This way, you won't have to worry about supporting the back end and lining everything up when you come to put it back together!

I use a similar technique for removing and replacing the back wheel, except I use an old bolt with the head cut off, so it's just the right length to fit inside the two spacers either side of the wheel.  Makes it so much easier than almost getting everything lined up, only for one of the spacers to fall out at the last minute!

oscar tbt

Thanks Taught2Be. Good idea, going to give it a shot. Picked a swingarm bolt for ?9.50 on ebay which I  should have early next week. Hopefully back on the road again in a few days! Thanks again

oscar tbt

Finally got around to doing this this morning. Worked like an absolute charm - got what would have taken me hours done in about 15 minutes. Thanks taught2be - very helpful!

Just a bit more advice, the bikes been off the road now a bit over 3 weeks without being started (didn't expect it to take this long to do the job, things kept on getting in the way as they do) - so would it be advisable to drop a bit of oil down the plug holes before cranking it over? And anything need looking at carbs/fuel wise?