Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

29/03/24 - 06:30:30

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,913
  • Total Topics: 11,003
  • Online today: 368
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 254
Total: 254

254 Guests, 0 Users

Another HISS Sufferer

Started by NTBooth, 16/01/17 - 11:20:22

Previous topic - Next topic

NTBooth

So - My bike is a 57 plate xl1000v Without ABS ;D

Since picking it up I've had some intermittent starting issues with it where the FI and HISS lights would stay on which i have since found out seems to be known issue with Varaderos...

At first a few times switching the engine on and off or flicking the kill switch etc was getting it to work so i didn't mind and just got on with it but it just kept getting worse and because it is my commuter bike (no other transport to work and back) I got in contact with the dealership i bought the bike from because it left me stranded once where i had to push it about a mile home and then again when i needed to start it at home and couldnt get it to go for about 40 minutes. (not a good issue to be having with my only transport to work and back)

First time to the workshop
They cut some new keys for me with new chips in but it didn't fix it so went back again. (also couldn't get the steering lock to work and this is when I found out its because of an aftermarket lock barrel that wasn't long enough to allow the steering lock to work!)

Second time
Chip reader (HISS antenna?) was changed and that should have been the end of it but nope! I was still having the odd bit of trouble so took it back again just to have a quick chat about it etc...then i came out of the shop and couldn't get the bugger started!!!!so ended up leaving it there leading to the third time.

Third time
New lock barrel / ignition switch, More new keys. I was hoping this would be the end of it! but nope!!! went to get on the bike after work and the same issue again!! It took me an hour and a half messing around and had to get my fiance to come and rescue me with some jump cables as the battery had gone. I managed to get it started and got about 50 yards up the road before it completely cut out on me! everything went completely dead, no lights, NOTHING!!! so i pushed it back to where i started. Tried again for another hour after charging the battery a bit but as it reached quarter past midnight i had had enough (so had the Fiance) so we gave up, spoke with the dealership in the morning who picked up the bike.

Fourth time
So this time its had a new ECU and another new set of keys.

The bloke said he has taken everything off the bike stripped to the loom, checked all the wiring, everything seems to be routed properly, no damage to any wires, none look worn, nothing loose, ALL the connections checked, all in good condition and connected properly. Aftermarket alarm/immobiliser working correctly and wired in correctly with no issues (and apparently no way it could affect the HISS anyway). I picked it up on  Friday morning, drove it home fine and have started it since with no issues. But im working nights this week and am back to work tonight (Monday)! so we will see how it goes.

The dealership have been Fantastic throughout but im hoping not to have to step foot in there again! (until its time for a new chain and sprocket anyway!)

Has anybody else had issues as bad as mine where it has left them stranded etc? I've read through a few posts but most seem to say that on and off / kill switch / starting it to move the crank position sensor seems to work for them no issues of being left in the lurch.

Hope to god that the latest fix is the one...Love riding the bike but loosing confidence in it rather quickly! if its not sorted i think ill be migrating back to a V-Strom! >:(

Thanks!
Niall

NTBooth

So, the bike is gone. I'm sick of it not starting and every time i come out of the house thinking "i hope this will get me to work today".

Picking up my F800GT on tuesday  ;D

mozza83

Just seen your post, I've had similar problems with mine but if I hold the starter with the ignition off then turn the key to ignition on mine seems to start 100% of the time.
Good luck with your f800

bosh

Have similar problem with mine. Tried holding the starter and turning on the ignition, it didn't work.

Don't know what else to try. Heard in other forums that changing the pulse generator might work, don't know if anyone has tried it. Bike parked for a while now......any help?

Bryne

aboynamedsue

Sorry, you had a bad experience with what is a fantastically reliable bike (usually) both mechanically and electrically. I would just be wary of buying any bike that has had a new, aftermarket ignition barrel and alarm/ immobiliser fitted.
I hope you have better luck with your F800.