collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Beginner! Choke/starting problem  (Read 2943 times)

shotgunson

• Tea Boy
Beginner! Choke/starting problem
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:26:24 PM »
Hello, i searched through the forum and found others with similar problems but not exactly the same so I thought i would ask!
I have recently bought a 125 Varadero and I am really enjoying it. The only problem is that i live in Northern Ireland and it is always cold and hard to get warmed up in the mornings.
I have read through the manual a few times now and I am following the guide for starting the engine in the cold, (pulling the choke out) but i've found that I can't get the choke to stay pulled out, it just slides back in and the cold engine simply stops.
I am a beginner when it comes to bikes so maybe its not supposed to stay out? or there is a nack? I also tried turning the little screw just below the choke but it seems to do very little. I should probably mention aswel that when I pull the choke out, the engine stalls! so i actually have to use the hand throttle at the same time as pulling it out, then after a few seconds i can release the hand throttle and keep holding the choke open with my hand and it will idle at about 2. Very annoying so sit holding the choke out for 5 mins each time i want to go for a ride!

Perhaps i'm making a very basic mistake, but I would appreciate any help.
Also if anyone knows of a good manual/maintenance guide for 125 varadero beginners (other than the owners manual!) that would be great!

Thanks!

nasher123

• Spanner Man
Re: Beginner! Choke/starting problem
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:36:07 PM »
i have exactly the same problem with my vara 125

the choke just seems to contract itself back in   <doh>

and also have to twist the thorttle to stop it stalling :S i think we both need some expert advice  :idiot2:

let me no if you find the nack of fixing this

shotgunson

• Tea Boy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
i will do mate, i might go down to the workshop today so i will let you know what i find out.
do you also find the choke very unresponsive? sometimes when i pull it out it will actually just stall, i cant help think that shouldnt happen!

nasher123

• Spanner Man
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
yeh not very responsive :/

i was told when i brought it, he said it doesnt like the choke, but it idled quite nicely at 3,000rpm :)

then after i let go and pulled it out again, it just kept stalling everytime  ???

in theory it shoudl stay out by itself, cant expect a rider to stand there holding it out for 5 minutes everytime he starts it from cold :L

quick fix, use a peg  <lamp>

shotgunson

• Tea Boy
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »
well i went down to the dealer yesterday and the answer i found was that it was not supposed to stay out although the manual makes it look otherwise, it doesnt have an "auto-choke"? so the answer is a peg really. Or what i have found is just to not start the actually bike until i am about to head off and by the time i get to any junctions it is warmed up (i live on a long straight road!). But i still have the problem if I am round at a friends in a built up area. so im going to keep a peg in my jacket from now on!

Box360

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
Blast from the past bump, hi, I'm new to bikeing in general, iv literally just brought a baby varadero just now not even home yet, but I have the same issue as the op with the choke, is there a fix for this??? Cheers

Micro

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero Rider. Derry, n.I.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2016, 06:57:17 PM »
I use the choke just to start the engine when im sitting on the bike ready to move off. Keep the revs high for awhile untill the engine heatens up ( 4 bars fully heatened) a bit and you should be ok then.  .....Davy..... 🚵
My  bike is 100% rust free...... I bought the bike and got the rust free .  🚵

gilburton

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 02:09:54 PM »
Just to update anyone having the same problem just behind the choke knob is a rubber collar. This actually covers a friction adjuster so just try turning the rubber to the right and it should grip the choke knob a bit tighter If it won't turn peel back the rubber cover and turn the adjustment wheel and replace the rubber cover.

aboynamedsue

• Tech
  • You came in that thingYou're braver than I thought
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 06:41:22 PM »
I had the same problem with my Transalp. I added an extra washer to the bolt that goes through the choke knuckle guard etc. and tightened it up well and that sorted the problem. The choke is manual, you put it on and you put it off. Full choke and as soon as she fires, down to half and after a few hundred yards off altogether, unless of course the 125 engine needs a bit more I don't know but that works for me

* Calendar

August 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
[20] 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

No calendar events were found.

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal