collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Fork weeping and Fork compatibility  (Read 1038 times)

zorst

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
Fork weeping and Fork compatibility
« on: March 24, 2012, 01:40:08 PM »
I've been all over the net and read about the poor quality, paint and coatings that is on the Vara. I've also read about forks pitting with rust and mine is no different.

When the previous owner took the bike to the dealers for it's 4k service they also replaced one fork oil seal.

You can see a lot of scratch marks on the fork stanchion where they must have used some wet and dry, but looks like they only used it dry, i've autosoled the leg to help remove the scratches but it's still weeping at the front of the leg.

So my options for repair are, i've read that Araldite can be spread over the stanchion then smoothed down, but i'd rather do it properly. I know i could have the stanchion recoated and reground by the proffessionals, one place is quoting a four week turnaround.

Or, i was thinking of getting a new tube but out of another bike, for instance a Blackbird seems to have the same tube size.

Would i be safe (as in purchase)getting a compatible part? I can rebuild the forks myself which means it'll be cheaper, quick turnaround and i can put some different springs in while i'm at it.

Thanks Zorst/Ken

lee540

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
Re: Fork weeping and Fork compatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:58 AM »
Can anyone confirm if the CBR1100XX Super Blackbird fork tubes are the same as the Varadero?

Both are 43mm x 625mm but they have different Honda parts numbers.

aboynamedsue

• Tech
  • You came in that thingYou're braver than I thought
Re: Fork weeping and Fork compatibility
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:35:10 PM »

IS IT WEEPING FROM THE FORK THAT HAD THE SEAL REPLACED? IF SO IT COULD HAVE BEEN DAMAGED FROM THE REMOVAL OF THE OLD SEAL WHICH THEN AFFECTS THE NEW ONE.
 I WAS ONCE REMOVING THE OLD SEALS FROM MY SLR AND I PUT A VERY SMALL(TINY) MARK ON THE STANCHION, ABOUT 2 WEEKS LATER THE NEW SEAL WAS WEEPING AND I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS, SO I HAD TO RUB THE FORK DOWN AND MORE CAREFULLY REMOVE THE SEAL AND REPLACE IT AGAIN. SORTED THE PROBLEM. IT TAKES VERY LITTLE TO UPSET OIL SEALS.
  I HAVE TO AGREE TO A CERTAIN EXTENT WITH YOUR STATEMENT ABOUT THE PAINT MORE SO THAN THE COATINGS. MY DECALS ON MY TANK STARTED TURNING YELLOWISH AFTER A YEAR AND MY DEALER AGREED WITH ME THAT IT WAS UV LIGHT AFFECTING THE LACQUER AND I GOT A NEW TANK OUT OF IT, BUT REGARDING RUST, NOT A PICK ON THE BIKE, COMPARED TO SOME SUPPOSEDLY SUPERIOR MACHINES OUT THERE.

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal