collapse collapse

* Search

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Rear shock options  (Read 678 times)

SussexCol

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
Rear shock options
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
Hi to All,
greetings from a wet south coast🎡
VUK is new to me so still finding my way around the site; looks good though☺
I have to replace the rear shock due to corrosion (over wintered it in a damp garage!) and I wonder if there are options out there? It's a 2005 XL1000 and is usually loaded with pillion and panniers.
Any advice gratefully received... thanks.

yen_powell

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
Re: Rear shock options
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
I fitted a Nitron to mine, I paid extra for the remote preload adjuster as getting anywhere near the adjuster on a Varadero is not going to happen.

I had to fill out a form before they built it with weights of me, usual pillion, luggage etc.

I liked it a lot.

varonda

• Tech
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 12:45:33 PM »
 Fit a Wilbers unit -- it's set up at the factory for what you need , just tell 'em what you're going to carry -- last one I had was on the bike 6 years and after a wipe down with an oily rag it looked as though I'd just pulled it out of the box -- and they can be rebuilt if needed-- not cheap but these days you only get what you pay for . Replaced Dero with an AT and sold unit to a contributor to this site. :) :) :)
If the truth fits --wear it

SussexCol

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »
Thanks to you both - will look at Wilburs and Nitron options for starters and see how far I get; anyone have a further suggestion (keep it clean) or feedback that would be grand 
Still raining, ho hum...

Snurrepus

• VUK Sponsor
  • Tech
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 09:34:11 AM »
I fully agree with Varonda.
Last September I had my "new" 2008 fitted with Wilber's rear shock, Wilber's progressive fork springs and Wilber's fork oil.
I visited Rev's racing in Halesowen.
http://wilberssuspension.co.uk/index.php

I did the same with my old 2008, and it was good as new when I crashed it last June after 130000 km.
See you in Gotland :-)

SussexCol

• Tea Boy
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »
Thanks Snurrepus - really helpful feedback; just worried now that if I go Wilbers then a crash will become compulsory :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 06:16:00 PM by SussexCol »

The Prodded Dog

• VUK Sponsor
  • Top Poster
  • special brew on prescription - now thats an idea!!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »
Thanks Snurrepus - really helpful feedback; just worried now that if I go Wilbers then a crash will become compulsory :)
You are not Scandinavian and not called Erik. You will not crash providing you do not become distracted watching a bike wheelying the other way and run into the back of the bike of your biking buddy.
The Soup thief
AKA The prodded dog
I can still do all the things I could when I was 21, but now it is with less teeth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtp4adNTP0Y

Bønne

• Spanner Man
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 09:04:58 PM »
Two years ago I mounted Öhlins in both ends (of the bike ;)). Expensive, yes, but I haven´t regret it one single moment!
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

Snurrepus

• VUK Sponsor
  • Tech
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 12:46:25 AM »
You are not Scandinavian and not called Erik. You will not crash providing you do not become distracted watching a bike wheelying the other way and run into the back of the bike of your biking buddy.
The Soup thief
AKA The prodded dog

I love you, too  >:D >:D
See you in Gotland :-)

HEDLEY326

• Grease Monkey
  • Varadero UK Rider
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
 I stuck a hagon with preload adjuster on mine. Piece of piss to fit and mounted the adjuster with a Z bracket to the rear brake mechanism mount. Bike feels more solid. It's a bit stiffer than the origional but feels great.

BigYin

• Tech
  • Life is an adventure
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »
I've fitted a Hyperpro to mine - I got it with the remote adjuster at extra cost and then had to fabricate a bracket to mount it on.

Anyway, 18 months after fitting it it's back off and away for a service after the damping started to fade  :(

Original shock back on at the moment and preload wound up to the max to reduce the sagging - which was why I got the new shock - hopefully have the Hyperpro back soon....

* Calendar

October 2017
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

SimplePortal 2.3.2 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal