Welcome to Honda Varadero UK Forum. Please login or sign up.

18/04/24 - 19:12:42

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

S Barker

2024-01-06, 15:48:05
New SMF Version

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 2,722
  • Latest: carlfh
Stats
  • Total Posts: 90,914
  • Total Topics: 11,004
  • Online today: 179
  • Online ever: 1,296
  • ( 22/01/20 - 17:41:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 109
Total: 109

109 Guests, 0 Users

Tyre Pressures

Started by Flash, 01/07/07 - 22:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Flash

Sorry If this is an old topic!  However, I am new to this forum and have recently bought a 54 plate abs model after having owned GS's for 7 years.  Just fancied a change, and after 2 trips abroad during the last 6 months I am convinced that the Varadero is the only way to travel.

Anyway, as for tyre pressures the GS was 32 front and 36 rear (solo) while the Varadero manual states 25 front and 29 rear.  During my first holiday the shoulders and edges of the rear tyre disappeared before the centre did - basically the wear profile was totally different from what I am used to.

My question is - should I run the Varadero at 32/36.  I currently use Anakees.  Can anyone help?

minkyhead

thgose sound  dangerously low to me   .. my carbie is  36 36 recomended but i run 36 38  with road rubber   are you sure those figures arnt   bar  ???
you must have been flying  cos i was going real fast when i passed you??

S Barker

I wonder what happen if I click on this - Ooops

Slip Knott

Does anyone know if you need to increase your pressures on Pilot Roads when 2 up like it says in the owners handbook?
Ooo, OOO, OOOps.....

Mr NiceGuy

I have mine set at 36 front 42 rear on Road Pilots. I don't adjust the pressures for two up and can't really describe myself as slimmer of the year. I only adjust the preload and the bike handles fine solo or 2 up.
I know I was born and I know that I'll die and what is in-between is mine, all mine.

jp

me too, but on Distanzias

Flash

Thanks for the replies.  I have double checked my Honda manual which definitely states solo 25/29 psi (front/ rear) and 25/33 for two up.

Will increase the pressures to the norm that everyone else is using.

Cheers.

jp

Quote from: Flash on  02/07/07 - 21:49:26
Thanks for the replies.  I have double checked my Honda manual which definitely states solo 25/29 psi (front/ rear) and 25/33 for two up.
that doesn't seem right, I can only go on my Mk1 handbook but would be surprised if they were that different.
Mk1 handbook says

driver (sic) only
front 250kPa   or 2.5 bar   or 36 psi
rear 250kPa   or 2.5 bar   or 36 psi  (ie the same as front)

driver and one passenger
front 250kPa   or 2.5 bar   or 36 psi
rear 280 kPa  or 2.8 bar  or 41psi

it doesn't say what to use with 1 passenger and a ton of luggage!

perhaps someone with a later handbook could resolve it.

Tarwdu

I have to agree with jp on this one.  Mines an 06 xl1000 abs.  36 front and rear.  41 rear when loaded.  Are you sure you've got a varadero xl1000 book.

very strange !

tarwdu
My initials are GS, but I ride a Varadero.

Slip Knott

Does your bike still have the sticker on the left side of the swing arm with tire sizes and pressures?
Ooo, OOO, OOOps.....

Dee Dub

Flash. The 2004 manual definitely has a misprint; mine's the same. The sticker on your swing arm shows the correct pressures, as does the manuals for earlier and later models. This was confirmed by my Honda dealer. (From memory it should be 36F and 36R for solo riding.)

Flash

Thanks,  that clears things up as the bike was weird at 25/29.  Now happily at 36/36.

BansheeS

Hi

Did a trip at 250kpa all round with the Trailwings and I felt like I was riding a damn Fireblade on a dirt track. This was on the B roads....has to stop and let them to 220kpa front and back only slightly better....gonna have to go to 200kpa if I want any sort of comfort...any ideas?

Dee Dub

You should check for excessive wear on wheel bearings, steering head bearings and swing arm bushes.

black rider

I pulled my Varadero out from its winter rest  on Thursday I only done 10 miles but I filled up the tank and checked the tyre pressure at the filling station  . the front was 22 psi and the rear 28 psi . I found it handled fine like that comfortable as could be   maybe a little spongy but manageable . I had remembered the 36 42 so that's what I put in . I had a long day in the saddle yesterday I spent over an hour wrestling the big old brute around a city and rode some what can best be described as farm track's paved roughly with grass growing in the middle a good bit of narrow bumpy back roads over 200 miles all in . last year the bike felt fine yesterday it felt like a jackhammer for a finish . my wrists are aching today . I know its an old thread but after the winter  it might be worth reminding people to check their pressures . to be honest I have my varadero since 2015 and its the first time I checked the pressure  :o